Hello again! So I thought today I’d do another beauty related post. Something that is an essential part of my makeup routine doesn’t actually involve putting on makeup. Can you guess what it is?! Well just in case the title of this post didn’t give it away, it’s cleaning my makeup brushes! I do my best to clean my makeup brushes once a week, usually on Sundays. Occasionally I’ll forget (or if we’re being real I just get lazy) but I do my very best to stick with it. Here are a few reasons why you should wash your makeup brushes too:
- To prevent bacterial growth! Like it or not, if they’re not properly and regularly cleaned, your makeup brushes can become a breeding ground for gross things. Staphylococcus, streptococcus, e-coli, and other gross bacteria could infiltrate your brushes over time. Other things, like oil and dead skin cells, also build up in your brushes.
- To prevent skin problems! This is directly related with the bacteria stuff we talked about earlier. If you aren’t regularly cleaning your brushes, you are essentially rubbing these gross things all over your skin.
- Prolong the life of your makeup! In addition to contaminating your skin with the yuckies from your makeup brushes, you can also contaminate your makeup itself each time you apply it. If these bacteria get into your makeup, it can shorten the lifespan of it, and you’ll have to replace it more frequently.
These are just a few of the reasons why you should be washing your makeup brushes often; unfortunately, there are several more.
Now that we’ve covered why you should wash them, let’s talk about how to do it! I’ve tried so many different ways to wash my makeup brushes. I’ve bought brush sprays, sanitizers, and shampoos, but it wasn’t until this past year when I really found a routine that worked well for me. You only need a few things, all of which you’ll most likely have on hand. You need: paper towels, olive oil, shampoo (I’ve found baby shampoo works best), and a sink to wash them in. It’s really simple, but also really effective! Check out the video below to learn how!
Inspiration for the week (May 26)
Hi Loves! So today I wanted to do a post about a little makeup trick that I’ve been doing for a while now. A couple years back I bought a Bare Minerals starter kit, and was so excited to try it. I thought it was okay (I’ll probably do a full review on it later!), but I particularly fell in love with the Mineral Veil finishing powder. It is basically a translucent finishing powder you put on your face after you’ve done your makeup. I think it’s the perfect way to set your makeup, and it always leaves my skin feeling smooth and soft. However, at $20 a pop, it’s a bit pricey! Despite the price, I wasn’t quite ready to give up using it in my daily makeup routine. After a bit of research, I figured out that it’s super easy to recreate/make at home, and that the ingredients of the store-bought version are so basic. Even better, you don’t have to put in the yucky ingredients (dyes, preservatives) that are in the original version. I’ve been making the “homemade” version for while now, and don’t plan on stopping anytime soon.
What you’ll need:
- Some sort of container to hold it in (I use the original Mineral Veil container)
- Baby Powder
- In a small bowl/container, mix together the cornstarch and baby powder. The needed amounts of each thing vary based on how big of a “batch” you’re making. Typically, I stick to a 3:1 ratio… 3 parts cornstarch to 1 part baby powder. (For example, 3 teaspoons cornstarch and 1 teaspoon baby powder)
- Transfer your mineral veil to the container you’ll be storing it in. Make sure that it seals well and won’t spill the powder out! I use the original container the mineral veil came in, though tupperware containers also work well!
- THAT’S IT! Seriously, it’s so simple!
I hope that you all found this DIY helpful, and that you decide to give it a try. Please let me know your thoughts on it, and if it works for you! I’ve also filmed a how-to video on my YouTube channel, so go ahead and watch it if you want to see a step-by-step on how I do it!
Hi there! Well I’ve tried this whole blogging thing before but failed miserably, so I thought I would give it another try! Now that it’s summertime for me, I’m thinking it could be a good time to do so!
Like I’ve said before, I don’t have one specific purpose for this blog. Ideally I’ll have posts about all sorts of thing, from hair and makeup to cooking and organization. But, as of right now my primary goal is just to start using this more regularly! Okay, or if we’re being honest it’s just to start using it at all.
I hope you’ll come along for the ride with me, and that you enjoy!!